[Harp-L] The results of the "cupping back" challenge by David Pearce

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Mon Jul 31 17:29:29 EDT 2017

There are two acoustic effects that prevent shape changes from affecting the perceptible volume of a harmonica.

Diffraction says that sound emanates from openings of less than a wavelength in a spherical wavefront pretty much equal in all directions.  There is no dimension of a harmonica that approaches the wavelength of sounds in the instrument’s range.  Therefore,  the shapes of covers have no directional influence.

The response of the human ear is logarithmic.  The sound power must increase by about 100% or decrease by about 50% before you notice a difference.  There is a story that may or may not be true about the young engineer who promised to redesign the exit nozzle of a jet engine to reduce the sound power by 50%.  He succeeded but his boss couldn’t notice the improvement and fired him.

Try closing a door with sound on the other side.  You will notice that there isn’t much difference between the door barely cracked open and standing completely open. There is a big difference in completely closed and barely cracked open.

In harmonicas, the biggest sound change occurs between completely closed and a barely open hand cup.  The change between barely and completely open is much less.

Vern