[Harp-L] The Case for Learning to Read Music

Arthur Jennings arturojennings@xxxxx
Thu Jul 27 11:25:14 EDT 2017

Michael, think of a tenor sax player who doubles (triples?) on alto sax and flute. If he plays the plays the note on the first ledger line below the treble clef on flute he gets a C. If he plays it on his tenor he gets a Bb. If he plays it on his alto, he gets an Eb. That's because the saxes are transposing instruments and need to have their scores transposed to be able to sound the correct concert pitch.

David Barrett's system (which he calls "C score") treats all harmonicas (except the C harp) as transposing instruments. This greatly simplifies the task of reading notation on multiple keys of harmonica.

To look at it in a more harmonica-centric way, anything intended to be played in first position is always written in C. Second position is written in G, third in D, etc. The player then selects the correct harmonica key to create the desired concert pitch.