[Harp-L] we're here for a good time-trooper

Sheltraw macaroni9999@xxxxx
Mon Jul 24 13:20:44 EDT 2017

Development of one's ear is paramount. It's music! Transcribing solos is a great way to develop it. But you don't have to notate or tab it. If you do notate or tab it wouldn't recommend do so until you can sing the solo or solo snippet start to finish.

I presently spend 75% of my practice time without an instrument in hand (or mouth). When transcribing I listen to solos and sing the parts I like while trying to feel/hear the underlying chord progression simultaneously. But mostly I listen to standard progressions and try to musically feel/hear more and more within them. Then I scat, either to myself or out loud, and have fun exploring the use of every note in the chromatic scale in the context of that progression.

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone