[Harp-L] MIDI HARMONICA PERFECTED - The LEKHOLM DM48

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Tue Jan 31 14:57:22 EST 2017

I followed the link supplied by Brendan to the DM48 website.  I think that
this is a very interesting development, and potentially a powerful addition
to the harmonica player's toolkit.

However, I think that most players will find that this instrument must be
approached as a new instrument, not simply as a harmonica with the ability
to control a wide range of synthesizers.  Lekholm says as much on their
website.  "Compared to an acoustic harmonica, the DM48 is less expressive
in many ways..." Players who've mastered a range of expressive techniques
on harmonica will find that they need to learn a bunch of new techniques in
order to get the most from this instrument.   Some players have difficulty
transitioning from diatonic harmonicas to chromatics; I think such players
will find the transition to this instrument to be even more difficult.

That said, this is pretty exciting stuff.  Plenty of harmonica players
already double on other instruments, so why not this?  The range of new
sounds (and roles for the harmonica player) is potentially infinite.  The
tuning editor alone opens up dramatic possibilities in terms of what chord
sequences can be played on the instrument.

21st century harmonica, indeed.

Regards, RIchard Hunter
--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/x/5259889#/