[Harp-L] Burnishing v Embossing

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak@xxxxx
Sun Jan 22 06:02:16 EST 2017

Smokey-Joe wrote:

"My particular reference to ‘Swageing’ comes from my many years working on
something called “Wildcats”. These are cartridges that are customized from
other
cartridges and bullets. The R.C.B.S. company (aka Rock Chucker Bullet
Swageing), provides dies to facilitate 1..squeezing, 2..forcing,
3..smearing, molecules of metal
from one profile into another. It’s done gently and with pressure."

There sure sounds a lot like what burnishing does. My brothers used to be
big-time into reloading; I'll have to ask them about swageing. It does
sound awful familiar--I'm pretty sure I've heard that term used before, but
it's been a long while.

Words sure can be a challenge, especially when trying to describe something
somewhat novel like reed slot "-------". But we harpplayers control this
usage, so we can eventually decide it for ourselves. I like following Rick
Epping--even though the Yiddish-inspired suggestions are good too ;>}

Eric