[Harp-L] Harp-L Digest, Vol 161, Issue 5

Hellerman, Steven L. shellerman@xxxxx
Sat Jan 7 14:58:33 EST 2017

Sometimes things can sound much more complicated than they are (I should have weighed in on that recent long thread about reading music vs. understanding just enough theory to play some music......)

For a tune in Bb you would play your Eb harp for cross (you don't need a harp in a minor key like Eb minor to play a tune in a minor key).

You could also play your Ab harp. That would be third position, also cross (mostly stay to the right on the reeds, the lower ones usually don't work very well).

You could also play your Db harp. That would be fourth position, which for minor keys means straight harp. (So if it the tune was in a major key, like Bb, you would play your Bb harp -- i.e., first postion -- for straight harp. That doesn't work for minors, so indeed you have to play the "relative major", in this case Db.)

There are folks who would throw in 5th position and 12th position, but that's beyond my pay grade.

Best,

SLH

Message: 7