[Harp-L] Curious about how the group feel about buying used harps and cleanliness

Michael Easton diachrome@xxxxx
Fri Jan 6 15:46:58 EST 2017

I’ve used ultrasonic cleaners for over 40 years in the dental field and 18 years in the harp repair field and swear by them.

What they are meant to do is clean particulates and polish from metal and other materials.
They are also used to break down investment material from around metal castings.  A mild acid solution is placed in a beaker
with the material to be cleaned.  Never pour acid directly into an ultrasonic tank.

They do not sterilize, sanitize or disinfect.  You use a solution to do that.
The heater on ultrasonics are not meant to kill germs or viruses.
They are primarily used in the dental and jewelry trade to soften and remove polish from metal and plastic surfaces. That’s it.
Dental appliances such as partials can be placed in them to remove gunk but it’s not used as a sanitary device.

You should not use petroleum based products in ultrasonics and you should not use alcohol either.
No flammable material at all.

I think some of you are in overkill mode with cleaning your own and used harps.

There is more gunk left on your dishes, silverware and glasses when you invite people into your home than is on used harmonicas.
Your chances of getting something is greater when their oral fluid is fresh on your dishes then dried on the metal parts of a used harp.

Do you think restaurants put as much effort into cleaning utensils as you do cleaning harmonicas?  I think not. It’s just overkill.

Dish soap will not bubble all over the place in an ultrasonic if used correctly.  You place the water in first then pour in the liquid soap.
I use Palmolive “Pure and Clear”. It leaves no soapy aftertaste.  Never ever clean harmonicas with any soap containing aloe  unless you want them
tacky afterwards and your windsavers stuck to the reed plates.

Ultrasonics will not clean watermarks, tarnish or other stains from reed plates.  You can use barkeepers friend or other non abrasive cleaners on the
plates first then run them in an ultrasonic to remove the fine particulates.  Rinse well afterwards.

I experimented with denture tablets (I don’t wear them) for cleaning.   Using them in ultrasonics is over kill and unnecessary. It’s the action of the ultrasonic
vibration that cleans the parts. Denture tabs don’t deserve the credit.

There are commercially made cleaning solutions for ultrasonic cleaners but you need to be careful. They are not meant to be used with plated metal, aluminum or steel.

Never ever place an assembled harmonica in any water solution to clean.  All harmonicas have some parts that rust. Covers, screws, springs, rivets.
Cleaning it assembled just deposits gunk and standing water in crevices and hard to reach places on the harmonica. You are basically creating a petri dish to harbor
your own germs and contributing to rust and tarnish forming inside your harps.

What to do about windsavers on used harps?  Replacing them makes a lot of sense.   Wood combs?  They are fine as long as they don’t smell of mildew or have signs of mold and other damage.To clean just disassemble and take a clean toothbrush and brush off any dry spit.  The wood pulp kills any bacteria that has been on there after several days.  You can also
use a product called Sterilite on wood combs.  It’s made to clean reeds on horns that students share in school band classes.  I use it on all wood comb diatonic and twin reed harps that come  in the shop for repair after dry brushing them. Just a couple spritz’s and wipe.

Final note.  Don’t go nuts with cleaning your own or used harps. Use the same care as if you were cleaning eating utensils in your home and that’s about the extent of it.
If harps were used in surgery it would be a different story.

mike
www.harmonicarepair.com