[Harp-L] jazz jam crossover tunes

Mick Zaklan mzaklan@xxxxx
Tue Feb 28 11:03:36 EST 2017

Hey Duke,
   Haven't been to a jam in years, outside of the annual SPAH blues
circles.  In the old days stuff like "Summertime", "C-Jam Blues", "Coming
Home", "Watermelon Man", "Ain't No Sunshine", and "Work Song" would have
gotten you through.  Basically, blues tinged stuff that you would hear on
jazz radio stations all the time.
   I think Charlie Parker said the first things he learned on alto
saxophone were the blues in all twelve keys and the "I Got Rhythm" changes
in all twelve keys.  "I Got Rhythm" would be a good choice, since so many
tunes are based off those changes.  Good to know that bridge.
   Joe Leone would be good to consult on this stuff.  I believe he runs a
regular jazz session.

Mick Zaklan