[Harp-L] David Naiditch new CD "Bluegrass that Swings" reviewed

Tony Eyers tony@xxxxx
Fri Feb 10 19:08:34 EST 2017

I can see the postman from my front window, recently he left a promising
package. These are usually  for my wife, however this one was for me.
David Naiditch's new CD, "Bluegrass that Swings".

The bluegrass harmonica community is small, perhaps that's why I'm on
his mailing list. David has been been prolific, three bluegrass tune
CDs, a gypsy jazz one, all with great players. However nothing like the
team for this one.

Rob Ickes, on dobro, has won the International Bluegrass Music
Association dobro player of the year 15 times. I saw him in Australia
last year, he gets my vote too. Sierra Hull is on mandolin. In her early
twenties, she burst on to the scene a decade ago as a young prodigy, and
is arguably the finest player of her generation. These guys are the
backup crew.

Somehow, incredibly, David got Stuart Duncan to play fiddle on the
entire album. In the crowded world of top class bluegrass fiddlers,
Stuart Duncan has been head and shoulders above for a generation. He is
one of my favorite musicians, heard with Bela Fleck, the Nashville
Bluegrass Band and elsewhere.

David easily mixes with this cast, his chromatic is strong and assured.
He leads many of the tunes, including bluegrass standards like Roanoke
and East Tennessee Blues. As the title suggests,  the CD covers swing
territory, with tunes like All of Me. Here David unwinds his jazz chops,
with a series of stunning variations.

Favorite moment? David Naiditch trading fours with Stuart Duncan on
Sweet Georgia Brown, answering each challenge with panache.

This is perhaps the best bluegrass harmonica CD ever. It's available on
CD Baby, at https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/davidnaiditch5

Buy it.