[Harp-L] Overbending

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Fri Aug 25 18:25:34 EDT 2017

Actually, Will Scarlett was using the term "overblow" when I met him in 1974, which I believe was before Howard discovered the technique.

Using the term is an intuitive thing, because playing an overblow on a harmonica feels a bit like when you overblow a wind instrument at the octave. Only a harmonica overblow doesn't go up an octave, it goes up a semitone higher than the closing reed, and a harmonica overblow happens for a different reason than the overblow you get on a flute or saxophone.

I would never say Overblow 9 as described by Michael Rubin, because it causes confusion.

Many players believe that the high blow bends in Holes 7, 8, 9, and 10 are "overblows." So when you say "Overblow 9" when referring to Over*draw* 9, at least part of your audience will think you're referring to the blow bend in Hole 9. Besides, you don't blow to produce it anyway. It's no harder to say "draw" than "blow," so there's nothing to be gained by using a confusing term.

When referring to voerblows, overdraws, and overbends, here's what I do:

If I'm referring to a specific overbend, I'll use the correct breath direction: Overblow 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or 6, and Overdraw 7, 8, 9, or 10. That way there's no doubt.

If I'm referring the the entire class of isolated opening-reed bends (which is what overblows and overdraws are), then I'll speak of overbends.

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica