[Harp-L] Stevie Wonder

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Fri Aug 25 18:16:34 EDT 2017

Robert Hale wrote:
<Does Stevie play in 5th position chromatic for Minor blues phrases?
<(C harp, E minor)
<Slide-up sounds cool in a couple of places.
<
<Anyone link me to other SW resources?

I transcribed three Stevie Wonder solos (For Once In My Life, Creepin',
Please Don't Go) in my book "Jazz Harp."  I also discuss playing For Once
in My Life on chromatic and special-tuned diatonic (a tuning I call the
Once in My Life tuning--sharped draw 5 reed, flatted draw 10 reed, offering
a major 7th in 2nd position along with the major 3rd on top) in this
Youtube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HltrG-x67o

In general, Stevie does not seem to be key-constrained on the harmonica.
He's recorded solos in almost all the major keys and several minor keys,
and he navigates changes very well in any key, using his characteristic
flourishes well no matter which key is involved.  So does he play in E
minor on the chromatic?  Sure.  Along with practically everything else.
(Isn't She Lovely is in E major, which is not a key most chromatic players
would rush to choose, given that flatted keys are easier than sharped keys
on a C chromatic.)

Stevie is well worth studying for his beautiful tone, his ability to find
beautiful lines through unique chord changes, and his groove, all the more
so because his work is less technically demanding on the chromatic than
many other players. His slide flourishes are immediately identifiable, but
they're far from the only arrow in his quiver.

Regards, RIchard Hunter

--
Check out our 21st Century rock harmonica record "The Lucky One" at
https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/richardhunter

Author, "Jazz Harp" (Oak Publications, NYC)