[Harp-L] Re. Hands Free Chromatic

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Tue Aug 22 15:29:12 EDT 2017

> Enrico, if you're reading: what about putting up some instructional videos
> for the HFC to get others inspired to give it a go?
>
> Brendan

I don’t think that Enrico follows the harmonica forums.

For a person with chops on chromatic harmonica and guitar or keyboard, little instruction is required.  If you are a beginner on both instruments and have had no previous musical training, then it will be an uphill struggle.

Dealing with the limitations of the diatonic on a rack is what inspired me to invent and learn to play  the HFC.  If you are satisfied with what you can do with your diatonic and a guitar or keyboard, then the HFC is a needless expense.

Fortunately, the HFC doesn’t require you to learn any special or different techniques.  IF you can play a chromatic, then transferring the button-push reflex to the slight head motion takes a few minutes typically.  There is plenty of instructional material for learning to play the chromatic. The same is true for the guitar or keyboard.

The learning to coordinate the two instruments is where the challenge lies.  I have found that this often involves arranging the song to fit the instruments.  After you have learned to play the chromatic and the guitar, the material for practice lies in any fake book.

The coordination of the HFC and his hybrid guitar in jazz arrangements is where Enrico excels.  He would certainly be able to bring some valuable instruction to those wishing to play in that genre.  For those of us who do not aspire to play jazz, there is plenty of other instructional material available.

Vern