[Harp-L] Fwd: Mickey Rafael

Ken H in Ohio airmojoken@xxxxx
Sun Aug 20 05:59:32 EDT 2017

There are a couple of YouTube videos where Joe Nick Patoski interviews
Mickey Raphael, where Mickey mentions influences Paul Butterfield, and
Donny Brooks, at about 7:15.

Mickey demonstrates a riff that he calls the "diatonic scale", which
is the major pentatonic scale, and says that it is the basis of
everything he plays.

I'm a great fan in the major and minor pentatonic scales !

Learn those, forward and backward, and you will be on your way to
duplicating that sound, and listen to a lot of Mickey's playing.

I love his solo albums, "Red River Valley", and "Hand to Mouth", and
his work with Willie Nelson, and other artists.

part-1:

https://youtu.be/XjbRdj5svs4

part-2:

https://youtu.be/5z-nGiwSHGs