[Harp-L] tricks for reading and transposing on the fly for diatonic

The Iceman icemanle@xxxxx
Wed Apr 26 07:56:24 EDT 2017

The point is that it is a major commitment to raise yourself to this level - something that most harmonica players don't seem too interested in pursuing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonard Schwartzberg <leonard1 at xxxxx>
To: 'Winslow Yerxa' <winslowyerxa at xxxxx>; 'Arthur Jennings' <arturojennings at xxxxx>
Cc: 'Harp-L' <harp-l at xxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Apr 26, 2017 7:20 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] tricks for reading and transposing on the fly for diatonic

Winslow;  Thanks for your tricks in reading on the fly…….. although I’m not totally convinced it is the easiest trick to perform.   I guess it’s similar to reading staff notes on the Bass Clef vs. reading staff notes on the Treble Clef. Obviously, a piano player does it almost subconsciously as his hands play both Clefs using different notes, and perhaps many different timings and dynamics.  A very difficult task, you would think.   So, if I understand correctly, Winslow, you’re asking me to (sort of) read the staff (on the fly) for many different keys.   As I’m writing this I’m thinking, “hey” that’s not a bad idea.   Need a bunch of practice, but wow, if you can master it, you’re light years ahead of the average harp player, and surely able to communicate your thoughts with other musicians (even harpists) with crystal clarity.   Ok Winslow, I can tell you that I’ll need to do some “homework” ‘fore going to bed tonight (otherwise, no dessert for me).   Hope my short dissertation made some sense.  Thanks again, Leonard