[Harp-L] Re: recording harp

Greg Heumann greg@xxxxx
Thu May 19 12:01:39 EDT 2016

Statements like "Bullet favors peak vocal frequencies for wartime radio communication 1000-5000hz” and "The Bullet's frequency range tops out at about 6 kHz”

… are gross generalizations. There have been 5 generations of elements in Shure Green Bullets. Frequency response has climbed with every generation. Shure’s marketing materials say the freq response of a new 520DX rolls off sharply after 5000Hz.  I don’t believe it for a minute. The only market LEFT for bullet mics is harp players (for which no bullet mic was EVER originally designed (before the Bulletini, anyway.) Anyone who has ever compared elements and studied their frequency response curves, or simply used their ears will tell you Shure’s spec there to sell mics but has no bearing on reality. The element in the 520DX is a modern dynamic element with a very lightweight mylar diaphragm. I wasn’t able to quickly find an independent test but I’d be very surprised if there is much rolloff before 10Khz on that mic. Even the original controlled reluctance elements were spec’d to about 5000 hz and and a simple A/B comparison will tell you the new element goes much higher. When playing harp it sounds considerably brighter/harsher. If we’re JUST using the term “bullet” without specifying the specific manufacturer and model, (i.e., 520, 520D, 520DX) - we could be talking about any of the numerous current bullety mics (Hohner Roadhouse JT30, Peavey Cherry Bomb, Nady Bushman, et. al) some of which use nothing but a modern vocal mic element - well… no very useful information is being conveyed.

With all that said, the first step in choosing a mic for recording harp has everything with what you want the sound to be like in the first place. The original post didn’t say.

/Greg

http://blowsmeaway.com
http://facebook.com/blowsmeawayproductions

"You’re going to like the way you sound. I guarantee it."

When responding to this email, please include the copy of our previous conversations.