[Harp-L] Comb Materials: the Perfect Test Harmonica?

MundHarp@xxxxx MundHarp@xxxxx
Tue May 17 10:12:23 EDT 2016

In my opinion the comb material has very little influence on the sound... I
 used to think "Wood comb mellow" "Metal comb HARSH" Plastic comb "Between
the  two! The propaganda at the time.
 Back in Detroit at SPAH 1997 Vern Smith PROVED to  me.... That is RUBBISH
A pearwood comb will rip your lips. a plastic or metal comb is not going to
 change ANYTHING, SO MUCH.;;;; Except it won't rip your lips
Mostly these days I use Danneker Blues diatonic harps with plated  brass
combs. Why? Because unlike Marine Bands with pearwood combs... Metal combs  do
not swell and rip a gigging harmonica players lips to bits!  I do not
think the sound difference is significant. But I do not want my lips to bleed
after every gig! I go for stainless steel or plated brass combs. They DO NOT
rip  up your mouth, as pearwood combs do. I do not think the audience can
tell any  difference.
Nearly 20 years ago, in Detroit. at SPAH 1997... We came to the conclusion
that comb material has very little, or NO influence on tone. But it DOES
have an  enormous effect on the playability of the harmonica.
John "Whieboy" Walden
Just now in bonnie Scotland, but available to play music ANYWHERE in  the
world.

In a message dated 17-May-16 1:32:07 P.M. GMT Daylight Time,