[Harp-L] Comb Materials: the Perfect Test Harmonica?

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Fri May 13 00:53:17 EDT 2016

A sound analyzer would not help you to find the elusive materials effect.  It might reveal small differences which undoubtedly exist at some level.  It would not tell us if humans can perceive them.  For that you need humans trying to do so under controlled conditions.  The day is imperceptibly brighter when the quarter moon is in the sky.  The sound is imperceptibly louder when there is a fly buzzing near the moving train.  It is only in the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale that the princess can feel the pea under her mattress.

If you seriously want an analyzer, there are inexpensive apps that will print out the spectrum of an audio file using the FFT (fast fourier transform.)
http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/fft.html <http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/fft.html>

Vern