[Harp-L] The "newest" Stradivarius of Harmonicas!

philharpn@xxxxx philharpn@xxxxx
Mon May 9 13:59:32 EDT 2016

Joe is always right. It's always the player. A good player always sounds great no matter what harp he is playing.

I was just listening to Charlie Musselwhite's latest album, "I Ain't Lyin" and I happened to think about his sound. To my ears, over the years, Charlie has always sounded like Charlie. Regardless of what brand he was/is playing.

I think he started out playing Hohner. Just the other day I saw him playing on YouTube what looked like a Lee Oskar (with the characteristic square holes at each end). I have a Herring chromatic with Charlie's name on it that I got from Danny Wilson to test drive for American Harmonica Newsmagazine several years ago. Now I think Charlie plays Seydel.

That makes at least four different brands that I know Charlie has played over the years. Since I am not a close personal friend of Charlie, I can't vouch for any other brands or customized harps he has played over the years.
The Hohner makes sense as a starter harp because it was the best made and universally available harmonica around when he was starting out.

1. Hohner
2. Oskar
3. Herring
4. Seydel