[Harp-L] The "newest" Stradivarius of Harmonicas!

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Sat May 7 19:14:07 EDT 2016

On May 7, 2016, at 6:18 PM, Vern wrote:

> If it is the attitude of the player towards the material that makes a difference, I reckon that it is easier and cheaper to change one’s attitude than to change the comb material.

You're free to recon, but why should anyone have to change their attitude? Are they supposed to change to suit you?

> The wager isn’t a gamble if you can really hear differences in comb materials.

I never said that I heard the difference. I 'feel' the difference. This is where you have been insisting that there is no difference in comb materials, given an otherwise
identical harmonica. I never debated that. I may like the feel of one harmonica over the feel of another. And if I am the one doing the playing, I may feel better, more confident, safer,
whatever.

> Gambling is betting on something whose outcome cannot be known ahead of time.

But gamblers DO think they know the outcome. They're called odds.
  J. LeOne

> Vern
>

>> On May 7, 2016, at 1:00 PM, Joseph Leone <3n037 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> I asked this same question when I came onto the list about 20 years ago.
>>
>> "But, does reed material(s) make a difference to the player?" For, it seems to me that IF a player COULD discern a difference, AND that difference made the player more comfortable,
>> then maybe, just maybe, it WOULD be advantageous for said player TO use that different material. Inasmuch as from a psychological point of view, the player may be more at ease.
>> Feeling, maybe even incorrectly, that said material that they felt was ..SWELL..was actually making a difference. So I conclude that even if materials made NO difference at all, it's all
>> in the EAR of the beholder. There are 7.4 billion people on Earth. Not everyone can agree.
>>
>> I never considered the $1,000.oo wager. As I am a recovering compulsive gambler.
>>
>> smokey-joe
>>
>> On May 7, 2016, at 3:13 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for posting this. I like the idea of a challenge with a prize, it’s like the James Randi $1 million for proof of paranormal things that has also never been claimed.
>>>
>>> This speaks to how the material for the reeds are indistinguishable to the listener’s ear but my question, as the ultimate beginner around here, is, does reed material make a difference to the player? Are some materials easier to do some things than others from the person playing’s perspective?
>>>
>>> HH,
>>> cdh