[Harp-L] Chromatic mic

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Sun May 1 20:07:00 EDT 2016

Leaving out the wireless part, though that may affect the sound in some way:

Cupping the SM-58 will:

1) create a proximity effect that emphasizes the lower part of the frequency spectrum

2) Fill up and thereby remove the tone chamber created by the hands

3) remove the sense of "air" around the sound of the harmonica (largely due to the effects of 1) and 2) but perhaps in additional ways.

The condensor is positioned outside the hand cup and this allows for cupping effects and "air" around the sound. The SM-58 is more prone to proximity effect than the Fireball and probably condensors as well.

Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica

________________________________
From: Sheltraw <macaroni9999 at gmail.com>
To: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa at yahoo.com>
Cc: harp-l <harp-l at harp-l.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic mic

Hi Winslow

Could you send me a pic of your setup for the condenser mic? How would you describe the sound difference between your condenser system and a wireless SM58 system.

Cheers,
Daniel

Sent from my iPhone

Hi, Daniel. I have a Fireball and a regular 58. The Fireball is bassier sounding (perhaps even muddier) for vocals, which can be a good thing for harmonica. Haven't done a detailed A/B between the Fireball and 58 for chromatic. Toots went from using the standard 58 to Greg's version, possibly due to shorter stick and lighter weight. Hermine Deurloo also uses it.