[Harp-L] Various tongue block techniques

Been a long time since Iâve posted here but Itâs easier to ask the question here then on FB.

While I mainly tongue block on diatonic and chromatic there is a technique I use on CX-12âs that is oddly different but I can use it on any harp.   I first came across it when I was playing the older 270âs with the sharp square edge mouthpieces.  Since I only single hole tongue block (tongue closing hole on left, playing on right)   the tip of my tongue was getting bloodied from the sharp holes. Pucker playing hurts my jowls after a few minutes so I came up with a method to avoid cutting my tongue.

 I brought up the question years ago on Harpl and was told by someone with a physics background that  it was impossible to do. More than 15 years later Iâm still doing it.  I use to think it was U Blocking, but from what I understand about that technique  is that you curl the sides of the tongue up toward the center of the tongue to isolate a path to the hole.  He said you canât direct airflow to a single reed while leaving other holes exposed to the air flow without causing the other reeds to respond.  I replied that you can.  I was already using that technique for a few years before that post.

What I do is lay the bottom of my tongue on the upper half of the mouthpiece without physically closing off any holes and direct the air flow for clean single note playing of the intended hole.  I can do it pretty much on any chromatic or diatonic. Same strong notes sounding as if I were tongue blocking.  With the diatonic I place my tongue on the top cover plate without touching the wood comb.  The technique only allows for slow to medium tempo playing on some harps but I can play fast blues using it on a CX-12.

Has anybody else used this technique?   I might have to give a name to it. :)

Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com <http://www.harmonicarepair.com/>