Re: [Harp-L] widening out/opening up the backs of harps

If you take a 2 foot (50.8cm) piece of metal stock that is 1/8th" (3mm) thick by 1/2" (12.7mm) wide and place it on the flat  between 2 common chimney bricks that weigh 6 lbs 14 ozs. (3,112 gms) and are set apart
about 20" (about 45.72 cm) apart, you will notice that the bar sags. If you place the same piece on edge, there will be no noticeable sag. So Michelle my Belle is correct. The lip on the covers act as buttresses. And Inasmuch as you carried this harp for 45 years (about 1/100 millionth of the earth's life), I can see where crinkeling the cover plate could have happened. I suspect it was in your back pocket. And thus received an
eclipse. lol

smo-joe