[Harp-L] Radio Shack tie-clip microphone -- what's the secret?

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Thu Jun 30 12:54:54 EDT 2016

I have used about a dozen of these mics in various applications including harmonica, sax, fiddle, and mandolin pickups.   Their outputs are powerful. However the battery case is NOT a pre-amp and the output is not line-level. It needs to go into a mic input such as the one that you would use with a dynamic mic.

1.  Use a fresh battery.
2. Try it with up and down impedance-raising transformers. Its impedance is 1500 ohms.
3. Change its location to behind and away-from the speaker.
4. Hold the mic in your hand-cup with the lead between your fingers.
5. Attenuate the highs with your amp’s equalizer.