[Harp-L] Reed Setup

Richard Sleigh rrsleigh@xxxxx
Tue Jun 21 09:44:43 EDT 2016

Hey Vern,

Your post on gapping is very clear and useful. I agree with you that the reed plate is a machine subject to laws of nature that anyone can learn to observe, measure, and understand.

Setting up a reed plate is not voodoo. I totally respect your ongoing campaign to question and challenge all forms of "faith based" adoration of magical people, methods,  or materials. "Gurus" are usually professional magicians that don't reveal how they do the trick. It's fun to pull the curtain on that sort of nonsense and you do it well...

I do, however,  believe that setting up reed plates is both a Science and an Art.

The Science is the systems of measurement and uncovering the principles. The Art is developing a feel for the materials and tools, a mind / body process of skill development that increases with deliberate practice. You may know what you want to do, but the art is getting your fingers to move the metal so it responds to your will and vision...

It is a never ending process - like playing the harmonica (which is also part of the process of learning to set up the reed plates - can you play the kind of music you want to play with this set-up / tuning? The only way to find out is to play the music and go from there)

It is possible to make machines that will set up reed plates like a Swiss Watch, but it hasn't happened yet. In the mean time we need more techs that can do it, as well as players who can work of their own harps. I do what i can to learn and teach harp tech, as well as design and develop tools. That's part of my place in the harp community.

The cool thing about the harmonica community is that we have musicians, artists, and scientists who are willing to have great arguments and learn from each other.

I always look forward to your posts!

Richard Sleigh
Http://hotrodharmonicas.com