[Harp-L] Curvature of the mouthpiece

Vern jevern@xxxxx
Mon Jul 4 05:06:44 EDT 2016

You should bend the arch after milling & polishing but before plating.

Clamp it against a curved form  You can make the form of wood... mark with a compass and cut on a bandsaw.

Measuring the radius of the curve of the existing mouthpieces is an interesting trig problem.  I won’t burden you with the derivation but my solution follows.  You can check it by placing the measured mp against the marked curve.

Let R = the radius of the mouthpiece curve
Let D be the depth of the curve at the midpoint of the mp.
Let L be the length of the mouthpiece, (the chord measured with a straight ruler.)

Then R = L * L / 8 / D  +  D / 2

Example: L = 5.5”
                D = .12”
                R = 5.5 * 5.5 / 8 / .125 + .125 / 2  =  31.3”

The radius of the form must be slightly less than the radius of the desired mp curvature to allow for spring-back of the metal. Start with 90% of the calculated radius and cut-and-try with shorter form radii until you get the desired mp curve.

Vern