[Harp-L] New Chromatic Option from Seydel

JOEL HENNER joelhenner@xxxxx
Fri Jul 1 10:57:53 EDT 2016

Neil:  Thanks for posting about Seydel¹s Chromatic Delux.  I wonder if you
can give me some tips to get better performance out of my Seydel chromatics.

 1) I have found the Saxony to have beautiful tonal qualities and a great
feel in my hands, but when it comes time to clean the slide mechanism I have
found it impossible to re-assemble the harmonica.  The slide has to be held
all the way in, in order to get the screws to seat properly, and the spring
tail is so short that it fails to properly engage the actuator hole on the
slide as you try to re-assemble it.  I have one in pieces now that I cannot
get back together.  I have never had this sort of problem cleaning Hohner or
Suzuki chromatics.

2) I purchased a Delux, which you demonstrated in the video, and I find
there is an unacceptable level of leakage around the sound holes resulting
in activation of the notes on either side of the target note;  I can also
feel air escaping around the top and bottom side of the mouthpiece.  It
seems like it is just not attached tightly enough to the harp body.  I have
toyed with the idea of trying to adjust the mouthpiece, but given my
experience with Seydel¹s Saxony I am hesitant to start messing around with
this for fear of ruining yet another costly harmonica.

Since you have  a connection with the manufacturer, I wonder if you¹d mind
giving them some feedback about these problems and possibly re-posting some
follow-up response from them for me and others who own or are considering
purchasing a Seydel Chromatic.  I¹d love to be able to resuscitate my dead
Saxony, and also get some useful playing out of my Delux.

Thanks!  Joel

Message: 8