Re: [Harp-L] Tommy Reilly with Judith Durham

A bit more on Tommy Reilly, David Reilly, and Judith Durham (from Durham's Facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/judithdurhamofficial/photos/a.302711233082984.76839.287932804560827/480540841966688/?type=1&theater

DAVID REILLY

When David Reilly co-wrote âColours Of My Lifeâ with Judith in 1967, neither of them had any idea of the pivotal role that song would play in Judithâs life.

The song was recorded by The Seekers on their final studio album in 1967, Seekers Seen In Green (along with another Reilly/Durham composition, âCanât Make Up My Mindâ).

Many years later, Graham Simpson chose âColours Of My Lifeâ as the title of the biography he was writing about Judithâs life, The Judith Durham Story â Colours Of My Life.

More recently, Universal Music released a commemorative compilation celebrating Judithâs 50th anniversary in music, and called it Colours Of My Life, and it was also the name of Judithâs recent Australian tour, her first in more than a decade.

Together, David and Judith wrote 19 songs. Three of them featured on Judithâs 1967 solo singles for EMI; âThe Non-Performing Lion Quickstepâ, âAgain and Againâ and âMemoriesâ.

David was born in the UK, but has dual UK/Canadian citizenship. He is the son of famed harmonica player, the late Tommy Reilly, who played harmonica on several Seekers recording (including the hit single âWhen Will the Good Apples Fall?â). Davidâs daughter is the talented Canadian/Hollywood actress and director, Georgina Reilly.

He has an Honours Degree in Political Science. He was a singer/songwriter for DJM and MCA LA, and a jingle writer with George Martin's Air Edel.

Over the years, David has been creator and head writer on both live action and Emmy-nominated animated series. He is often commissioned to develop and screenplay animated and live action material for theatrical and TV.

Judith and David stay in touch by phone and email. The last time they saw each other was in 1997, when David was a surprise guest on an episode of âThis Is Your Lifeâ paying tribute to Judith (see photos).

As well as screen writing and film scoring, David continues to write songs. Two of his recent recordings can be see on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Ob-ckEkuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkESffxdKgo

 Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica