[Harp-L] Tommy Reilly with Judith Durham

Over the years, many people have mentioned the name of the Canadian/British classical harmonica player Tommy Reilly, but I've never seen too many -- if any -- videos of Tommy playing. After Judith plays the Minute Waltz on the piano, Tommy points out that the waltz is not a minute long, but minute as in little waltz.

For those who never heard of Tommy. He was a Canadian violinist taking a travel/music education tour in Europe when the Second World War broke out, He was arrested and held by the Germans for being an alien. Then when Canada joined the war, he was declared an enemy alien. The Canadian Red Cross provided him a monthly provision package, which included a pound of coffee. He was able to trade the real coffee (which did not exist in Europe at the time) for a bunch of chromatic harmonicas. Since he had nothing but time for the duration of the war he concentrated on transferring his violin skills to the harmonica. By the time the war ended, he had not only mastered the harmonica but become a virtuosos. He went onto a fantastic European concert and broadcast career.

One of my favorite early jazz singers, Judith Durham (of the Seekers fame) did a TV show in the 70's that featured Tommy. Australian singer piano player Judith Durham did about a half-dozen years with the Seekers and later had a solo career that included old time jazz (Cake Walking Babies from Home is my favorite) and pop songs. She's in her early 70s and still going strong. Her voice sounds just as good as it did in the 60s.

Tommy appears at about the 20 minute mark in the video.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lplHF3k_xJk>