[Harp-L] Fwd: Reading or playing by ear.

Jordan Feldman bigmouthhorns@xxxxx
Mon Dec 26 12:43:21 EST 2016

The most well rounded musicians I've met, see with their ears and hear with their eyes.  They can sightread bird droppings as they splash on manuscript paper, are technically proficient on their instruments, improvise well and play musically.
The musical part is the hardest to teach.
This is the whole package and unattainable for most-not unlike being a neurosurgeon or a professional athlete.
Most of the folks I know with the whole package could have been doctors or whatever, but chose music.
As a jazz musician, what I find most interesting about reading vs memory/improvisational playing is that when I'm playing completely off book and the eyes are not part of the process it feels as if a different part of my body is driving the bus and the sense of freedom is profound compared to when reading.  Different neural pathway for sure, but hardly mutually exclusive.
In the end, do what you can do and want to do and use your time wisely.
Depending on your age and level of dedication, you only have time for so much..
When I picked up the harmonica I had no intention of reading while playing.  For a guy who wanted to blow some blues solos, etc and have a new musical companion it's not worth my time.  If I were a chromatic player, I can't imagine getting anywhere fast without reading.

Happy Holidays,

Jordan Feldman