[Harp-L] Who's Been Talkin'

Jim Fitting jfitting@xxxxx
Wed Dec 21 08:53:00 EST 2016

What a great inquiry. I adore this song, and this is a rare example where the cover version is almost as good as the original (almost as good). I am a little prejudiced because I saw this version of the Robert Cray band back at the Rathskellar in Berkeley in the early 80's. And oh man that was a great band, and it was an unforgettable night. But this song itself is fantastic. Howlin' Wolf is at his best: scary, sad, simple and beautiful all the same time. The guitar and sax are so restrained behind his simple harmonica riff. What a great band that is! The two versions are in the same key ( though Robert Cray gives it a more minor feel). Wolf plays an E harmonica in 1st position. It sounds like Curtis starts with an A harmonica in 2nd position and switches to a D harmonica in 3rd position. Love it.

Jim Fitting

________________________________
From: Harp-L <harp-l-bounces at xxxxx> on behalf of Peter Sheridan <jukejelly at xxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 12:00 AM
To: harp-l at xxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Who's Been Talkin'

Would like to know some opinions regarding a couple of versions of this
tune. Specifically, what key harp and what position is used on the
following:
1) Original recording by Howlin' Wolf on the Chess label
2) Robert Cray's recording with Curtis Salgado on harp on the Tomato label

Thanks.

Pete Sheridan
www.petesheridan.net<http://www.petesheridan.net>
Pete 'The Jukester' Sheridan<http://www.petesheridan.net/>
www.petesheridan.net
Pete Sheridan a/k/a 'The Jukester' About Pete | Books | CDs | Vintage Harp Mics, plus... Pete Sheridan 9 West Keller Street Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. email: jukejelly ...