[Harp-L] Reading or playing by ear.

dfwhoot@xxxxx dfwhoot@xxxxx
Mon Dec 19 14:48:06 EST 2016

 There is probably many who play by reading the score and that's great if you can as long as you play the piece with feelings. To me , that's what sells the song . I have heard strictly reading people who play the harmonica play a piece , and a key change happens and their music score does not show a change and they go ahead and play out of tune and not know it.  Now to me , that proves one needs to hear as well as read. To me , the best of best worlds is to first , play by ear . Learn by listening and playing with feelings. To me, this is when I play songs I already know how it goes, then perform it with how I feel it's saying.
Knowing to play using the number system is , to me , equally important . Gigs, studio work , jams , you'll always use this system. Jellyroll, PT , and many many others use this system or at least know about it. As long as you know what mode you want , you know the positions of the numbering system.