[Harp-L] "The Lucky One"

Richard Hunter rhunter377@xxxxx
Fri Dec 16 14:20:09 EST 2016

Hi all,

I'm nearly finished with vocal and harp overdubs for my record "the Lucky
One".  I'd originally thought we'd have the record available for sale (and
for distribution to the people who contributed to the Indiegogo fundraiser)
by Christmas, but it's looking more like January now.  I apologize for the
delay; rest assured that I will deliver the best damn stuff I can, even if
it takes another week or two, and the results are worth waiting for.

I'll take this opportunity to talk a little about this record.  It's no
secret that I'm using layered overdubs with plenty of FX to shape the sound
of this record.  That's not new in itself; artists like Scott Albert
Johnson have used FX very well on recent records, and Filip Jers, among
others, created masterpieces on his first CD with overdubbed harps.  What's
new is that I'm not simply out to produce new electric harmonica sounds
with this work; I'm putting the harmonica into a range of roles in the band
that it has rarely, if ever, occupied. Harmonica is traditionally a lead
instrument in a rock band; I'm building on the work of Lee Oskar and Magic
Dick to put it more deeply into the rhythm and horn sections, guided by the
sounds of blues, the band Morphine, and the White Stripes.

The results are definitely new; these textures have never been present on
any record I've heard, and I've heard a lot of harp records.  Most
importantly, I imagine that this music can be effectively performed live
with a band that includes at least two harmonica players playing through
the Digitech RP500 setup I've used for all the harmonica tracks.  And why
not?  Plenty of rock bands have two guitarists; how about some equal time
for harp players?  This is not music designed only for the studio; this is
music designed to be performed.  (By the way, if anyone is interested in
being part of some of my performances, please advise offlist.
Qualifications include ability to play diatonic harps in multiple
positions, the ability to play chromatic harmonica in multiple keys, and
the willingness to use the rig I provide, which of course includes a
Digitech RP500 and an Audix Fireball. Practical knowledge of chord
structure and theory is essential, like for example knowing what notes are
included in an Ab major triad and what scales work against that chord.
Ability to read music in this case is deeply respected, but not required.
New York/Philly area is tops.)

If this record goes as planned, it will be as definitive a statement about
the role of harmonica in a rock band as my previous CDs, "The Act of Being
Free in One Act" and "The Second Act of Free Being," were for solo
harmonica.  That's what I'm shooting for. I know it's ambitious; the facts
are that I've been working on this approach for ten years, the concept is
fully formed, and I'm too old not to aim high right now.  When Mick Jagger
said in an interview recently that spending three full days in the studio
recording the new Stone blues record was pretty hard on him, I knew exactly
what he was talking about; I literally limped out of the studio in Philly
after three full days and two nights of blowing my brains out on this
record. Like I said: time to aim high.

Whatever else this record is, it's not the usual, by design. And it rocks
hard.  You can check out samples of early rough mixes in the "Updates"
section of the Indiegogo campaign site whose URL is below.  (The campaign
is closed, so you can't make a contribution.  If you like what you hear,
just buy the download or the CD come January.)

Thanks and regards, RIchard Hunter

--
"The Lucky One" 21st century rock harmonica project at
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/richard-hunter-s-the-lucky-one/#/updates