[Harp-L] How important is it to be able to read music?

Michael Rubin michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxx
Fri Dec 9 14:30:27 EST 2016

When I was 28 a Broadway Show wanted a harmonica player and I was called to
audition.  I could not read music.  They asked if I could read music.  I
lied and said yes.  They put some music in front of me and I struggled.
They asked again.  I said Yes!

I got the gig.  I had 3 weeks until rehearsals began.  I took two hour long
lessons from two different friends and spent 8 hours a day practicing while
quitting my job and putting all my stuff into storage.

I was the worst reader of the orchestra but I kept the gig.
Michael Rubin
michaelrubinharmonica.com