[Harp-L] Written music for harmonica

Gary Lehmann gnarlyheman@xxxxx
Fri Dec 9 10:59:35 EST 2016

Unless you can remember everything (and I can't), it helps to have visual
cues.
That's why we write things down. (Milk, eggs, butter)
Diatonic harmonica is a transposing instrument, so the C4 (or middle C) on
an F harp is in a different place on the G or C.
That can make reading music (staff notation) for diatonic troublesome. I
bet if I had to do it, I would find the beginning note and read by
interval, but I seldom have to do this. Chromatic harmonica is where
reading staff comes into play most often for me.
But music is more than harmonica, so it's worth at least investigating the
way it is written for other instruments.
Unless you just don't care about music, and just want to play the
harmonica--wow, am I being snarky?