[Harp-L] tongue blocking fifths on diatonic harmonicas

Winslow Yerxa winslowyerxa@xxxxx
Tue Aug 30 17:36:56 EDT 2016

Just to go into this a little further, I picked up a harp and did a quick recording using spreads (number of holes in my mouth ranging from 0 (neighboring holes, but still played with a tongue block) to 6 (with 4 holes blocked out in the middle).

For a tune I chose Good Night, Ladies/Merrily We Roll Along. The first time through, I used Blow 3/Draw 2 as a drone note. The second time through, I used those same notes, but pitched an octave lower - I was using a Brendan Power Lucky 13 harp, which duplicates Holes 1, 2, and 3 an octave lower.

When I went from playing Draw 2 and 4 together to playing Blow 3 and 4 together, I kept the same 3 holes in my moth and shifted between having the underside of my tongue block the middle hole to using the tip pof my tongue to block the two left holes in my mouth.

When i went to the lower octave drone, I pretty much always had the top side of my tongue on the harp to accomplish the wide blocks.

Here's a link to the resulting recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i2g9x1qpe8u92i2/Good%20Night%20Ladies%20in%20Double%20Stops%202.m4a?dl=0
 Winslow Yerxa
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, Second Edition: ISBN 978-1-118-88076-0
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School
President emeritus, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica