[Harp-L] reed most often replaced

Joseph Leone 3n037@xxxxx
Mon Aug 22 08:12:37 EDT 2016

> On Aug 21, 2016, at 2:34 PM, Robert Hale <robert at xxxxx> wrote:
>
> Over the years, seems like Draw 4 more often goes flat beyond tuning, and
> needs replacing.

Yes, 4 & 5

> Can it be observed that reeds more often bent will go flat sooner?

In a way….. I have noticed that the longer reeds (maybe because of their longer swing) flex more, cover more real estate, and therefore stress the spring tension of the metal(s)
and even though they are vibrating slower, are vibrating FARTHER. I don’t see this as being beneficial. But that’s the nature of the animal.

It is also a idiosyncrasy that the #4 gets played a lot. A REAL lot. Especially on blues, especially certain positions. Country western uses a wee bit less. And when you consider that the #3 gets
REALLY abused by people who can get all 4 bends out of it, it’s a mystery as to why the #4 seems more fragile. I once felt that it was the tone of that particular reed. Regardless of the harp key.
I DO know that I used to blow out #4 on my D harps. So….apparently there is something about the length of that reed versus the tone of that reed. Maybe they are not conducive to each other.
Definitely worth some sort of study.

Do this experiment. Take a ruler and while holding 1” hard and fast on a table, dangle 11” over the edge. Pluck it. Notice the swing. Then keep decreasing the number of inches over the edge of the table and see what you get.
It IS quite possible to bust the ruler on the longer ‘throws’.

smokey-joe (aka mr cellophane)