Re: [Harp-L] Essential listening
- To: robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Essential listening
- From: Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 23:03:05 +1000
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to; bh=SBYlZmCyRsb6xbZjouK6+9dAbQks6sPiFS0Kf8XYIv4=; b=pU/ltYqSqEoMe7AW9LLZfiBjOV5Vl0wr5kRaNGUduzH1L28tXAta17I4+pqB0G3yfw wwRjm/Y7H6P12ke23ac3eq63fF3rjBELaaCKye4kBkeuRfQuB7gRvdOCMEsxHI875Xuw LmG4mmKusOHt36Zk3X27mY1mgC44b/USne/u+tK6Z4q7uSacL2DmXt67opA/oMJAA1JV ZFuUlfOnMiB1iOCuqZKFLv+s3pVpEXN47tQrrpewN7g3eYuRiVNHbzi0EB0+euWVjuRj rCxz/9Uje4IbRAKnuIw/bGbwNXpFWAjVO5X3RlUljsad8ioFCraU2I7/Tgf9ZcdvKFUK v4ZA==
- In-reply-to: <CO2PR11MB0056BCE804E8B82B4293D924AB6E0@CO2PR11MB0056.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
- References: <E227D1D7-7B15-4E7B-8366-1CBB310818C0@bellsouth.net> <571446FD.email@example.com> <CALH_262nH7RwGFrDm7hOc_uwz+0KDzPU+zFxJR1a2XXY9yMm1Q@mail.gmail.com> <CALH_263-ahFjQrpnfhgVXm26-MS7UT3ino59Jp59KAUMxpKvtA@mail.gmail.com> <CO2PR11MB0056BCE804E8B82B4293D924AB6E0@CO2PR11MB0056.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>
No, Robert. Neither is Picasso, James Joyce, or Jimi Hendrix. Unfortunately,
the respective revolutions these people spawned produced a lot of wankers.
Many of them had great chops, but, as Oscar Wilde said of Aubrey Beardsley
"He has a beautiful line, but he doesn't know where to draw it."
I could go on, but unlike Aubrey.......
On 22 April 2016 at 04:29, robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> is coltrane a wanker?
> From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx <harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of
> Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2016 12:39 PM
> To: fjm; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Essential listening
> I have something of a problem with 'modern' jazz, A lot of it sounds like
> wank to me (look that up in Australian slang if you don't get it) But David
> Therault's "The Deb" does it for me. I have the skills to imitate what he
> is playing, but only as a parrot. I don't really understand what is
> happening here. Is this a "blues"? (it's not "The Blues") ie a twelve bar
> that goes, basically I-IV-I-V-I (with maybe an implied VI-II-V-I in there
> somewhere) ?Is it in a minor key, or major key? Is it in E major? It's a
> bit esoteric for me.What are the chord changes here?
> PS Smojoe - help!
> On 18 April 2016 at 15:52, Rick Dempster <rickdempster33@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Oh yes! Thanks for reminding me. This is an outstanding diatonic
> > performance.
> > RD
> > On 18 April 2016 at 12:31, <bad_hat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWM-386OoVY
> >> Magic Dave Therault, The Deb
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and