Re: [Harp-L] Tony Eyers article on Country Tuning

Joseph Leone wrote:
<And since I was never one to dabble in all the possible positions, I never actually studied to see exactly WHAT other positions <could be played on a harp with the #5 draw raised.
<But it isn't too friendly to first and third positions. Where the natural (unaltered) # 5 reed fits the music better.

I agree where first position is concerned (mostly), but country tuning's great for third position major (D major on a C country tuned harp).  Lots of rock songs are built on the three major chords that this tuning supports, and the middle register has big bends on the root, third, and fifth in third position--just like second position. A lot of blues licks that are played on the 2-3-4 holes can be played in exactly the same way on the 4-5-6 holes on a country tuned harp; in most cases those licks will sound an octave higher than they would in second position.

Regards, Rihcard Hunter