[Harp-L] John Coster, Hohner XB40's and SUB-30's

Hi Winslow:

Couple of things.  Thanks for your assessment of the situation.  I think it
is right on the money.  I had occasion to play one of Brendanâs MB30âs when
I bumped into him at NAMM 2014.   I would agree with you that it is a
better harp than even my Blue Moon Customized SUB-30âs.  But I also agree
with you that it took an insane amount of work to produce them, hence the
equally insane price tag of $380 for the X-Reed version and $450.00 for the
Richard Sleigh Limited Edition.  Perhaps thatâs why they only made fifty of
them.  No offense about the insane price tag â just my opinion.

Given your familiarity with Johnâs music and mastery of the XB-40 I would
agree that he would probably find the SUB-30 lacking.  I think it is a good
call on your part.  I think it further illustrates the larger point about
fitting a harp to a player.  I think a lot of people missed the boat with
where the SUB-30 could fit into the scheme of things.  For serious blues
players it is not an acceptable alternative to a souped up Marine Band or
Manji or Seydel 1847.  And for the intermediate or novice player, it is not
the magic pill that instantly gives you the full chromatic scale on a
diatonic harp.  It takes a lot of skill to play any harmonica well and the
SUB-30 is no exception.  What it is, is another option harmonica players
have to play a certain kind of music â whatever that may be.  The major
point that I wanted to make is that anytime the SUB-30 is mentioned or
asked about, it is matter-of-factly dismissed as a total flop, a major
disappointment, too expensive and simply not even worthy of
consideration.   As a stock instrument, Iâd say that about sums it up.
However, given that the price has fallen dramatically and there are easy to
install fixes available, that is no longer the case.

Tom

--
*Tom Halchak*
*Blue Moon Harmonicas LLC*