[Harp-L] very cool gig, old SPAH idea

   My dad was a huge Dixieland jazz fan and I grew up having to listen to
it.  At that time, trad jazz was undergoing a revival and there were jazz
societies and clubs dedicated to that music the same way there are blues
societies, clubs, and festivals today keeping blues alive.
   I thought Dixieland jazz was pretty cornball stuff back then; but
listening to it now, I'm hearing all sorts of interesting turnaround
phrases on their blues pieces and ways of stating melody that I think
translate well to harmonica.  I think it's an untapped resource for blues
players.
   As to Rick's inquiry, there is probably a slew of jug band and
stringband guys using the harp acoustically that we don't know about.  Off
the top of my head, there's multi-instrumentalist Dom Fleming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3KY0MF7snQ and Rick "Cookin'" Sherry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWes88Ygbvg.  And our own list member Lil'
Rev.
   As to Joe Leone's mention of the Quebe Sisters; I recall many years ago
at a SPAH convention held in Romulus, Michigan, somebody hired three female
violinists to serenade tables during the Saturday night banquet.  It went
over well.  If anybody decides to resurrect that idea again for San
Antonio, I'd love to have dinner while listening to tunes like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxsdjjZsX0w.

Mick Zaklan