Re: [Harp-L] Copper/Stainless Steel Combs for Marine Band and Golden Melody
- To: Li Leon <leon.issac.li@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Copper/Stainless Steel Combs for Marine Band and Golden Melody
- From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:14:11 -0700
- Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=x-mailer:to:references:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:cc :date:in-reply-to:from:subject:mime-version:content-type; bh=V9znTsecwTYMmdtFE42s/urDbFD9FpHLLoCHRmfBpZA=; b=pXjTYpxAVfMqR8XOXrc2N8pBSNW2RHqQ6y1hgnyiVjZq8QipJWfWSlU+bWP36bIKv 6ILhOAjbJVkXVJx6Y30IQ==
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=received:content-type:mime-version:subject:from:in-reply-to:date :cc:content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to:x-mailer; b=yKr8T3bRinhWvDor/ffPQQiD8oenOwDIBOHMI4DBT13uwOa5uzaXCwahzBXDhQYi1 XpZu5KP5JwRLfxJOVB5mQ==
- In-reply-to: <CAD+M+Aup_7wYgq=OqTnpx6LSW=pNT+q7XO_JzM7XQAbyzE587A@mail.gmail.com>
- References: <CAD+M+Aup_7wYgq=OqTnpx6LSW=pNT+q7XO_JzM7XQAbyzE587A@mail.gmail.com>
Both acoustic theory and empirical testing at SPAH confirm that comb material has no affect on harmonica tone. For many years, I have offered a standing $1000 wager that no one can distinguish any material from any other in a blind comparison. So far, no takers.
Choose your comb material for weight, appearance, stability, corrosion resistance, cost, or whim with complete confidence that they will all sound the same. I recommend almost any metal or plastic but not wood which swells, shrinks, warps, splits, and peels. Beware of printed combs and mouthpieces which can be porous and rough on the lipsâdepending on material chosen, process, and voxel size.
> On Oct 28, 2015, at 3:20 PM, Li Leon <leon.issac.li@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi fjm,
> Thank you very much for your thoughts and info.
> These metal combs have very eye catching under good light condition which
> drawn my attention :)
> In terms of the sound, do you notice any difference between the brass and
> stainless steel combs? I quite like the sound from the aluminum ones, maybe
> once the combs are made in metal materials, the sound difference is minimal?
> Thanks again!
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and