[Harp-L] Re: harmonica-bashing

Not even remotely fair to brand Dave Dexter as a racist  solely based upon
him turning down 'Love Me Do'.  Is  there some evidence which supports this?
 For all we know Dave could  have been an outspoken civil rights
advocate... we  certainly don't know enough about him to justify the defaming
comments.  Either way, likely he later kicked himself  for not signing the Beatles.

I read it like Slim.  To me, Dave seemed to be saying he was  familiar with
good harmonica playing, and that the playing by John  Lennon on 'Love Me
Do' didn't make  the cut.  The quote seemed to be complimenting  the
traditional blues players, harmonica 'bashing' only in the sense  that he wanted to
hear a professional skill set  demonstrated by all the instruments on any
given recording.  Probably  listened to dozens of demos every week, typically
back then on crappy  sounding 45's, or on an open reel tape machine in a
studio  setting.  Unlike modern computer based systems it was a cumbersome  and
time consuming process, if something did  not meet your standards you moved
on.  During the  same era my dad was a VP for Storz Broadcasting, damn sure
wish HE had picked up those records!

Christopher Richards
www. harmonicaplanet.com
Staging & Production - SPAH

In a message dated 11/22/2015 7:58:59 A.M. Mountain Standard Time,