[Harp-L] REVIEW: Musselwhite, Cotton, and Hammond in Scottsdale (Phoenix) AZ
- To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [Harp-L] REVIEW: Musselwhite, Cotton, and Hammond in Scottsdale (Phoenix) AZ
- From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 18:11:19 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=ftlP7DCpMLnG82qoNwSOwptGKAIKQPLz0KLnTnEEeHk=; b=SAuBAwqM7lDiBiEY1MQgch4ISZqVf84DN0Kem90sf0lKXioVmf+pxeaM7KsNoSExx8 reIogS8zYLYqtmE7+bykEfUoQuZcj+2O9x4u/SY0MfAnn0s6EgZRIMmUBCW+23VsI2vY F+ZTMM+LkKStVlASc8Qrqs7NZj59Gk4rbrIRVfLx1T9rtv0zFm94D7YSWfJyrl51bdhr EtfDc6cCjavlXThZm7U5JNsKtqm5GUFRqWrQl3gv1pcH8O+on5osELo4yIw9y29EiTzd I9Q5s3TJnGBqWwX8pPqacoSYqi8nmT4VRpMAl+SzHDik3AvwSwuaR/aVWdi8eQrG67g5 8GkQ==
- Sender: ynfdwas@xxxxxxxxx
BLUES HALL OF FAME TOUR, Scottsdale Center for the Arts. Friday March 27,
Musselwhite, Cotton, and Hammond. They all go back 60 years together!
We had front row seats, a gift from my generous harp student.
John Hammond is far more talented and entertaining than I was aware!
Guitar, vocals, and harmonica on a rack, plus great stories of people,
places, and dates. Looked sharp in pressed dress shirt and pleated slacks.
Physically trim. Full head of white wavy hair.
James Cotton is a venerated legend, not doing so well now with throat
cancer. Relied on a few famous licks, not much variety. One tune sounded
like the wrong harp by a fourth away from the band key. He was rockin' and
Charlie Musselwhite was strong and entertaining as usual. Played a LOT of
1st and 5th position harp with sparkle and style. His band was tight and
tasty, with drums, bass, and guitar.
At intermission, I greeted Charlie as he set out harps on stage for the
next set. I learned that in Scottsdale AZ, you CANNOT TOUCH THE STAGE.
Fingers, belly, nothing. Ushers here are SERIOUS.
During the show Charlie invited all to dance if they got the urge. No one
moved. They were vocally enthusiastic. Guess they knew dancing would NOT
Serious Honkage in Arizona
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and