[Harp-L] REVIEW: Musselwhite, Cotton, and Hammond in Scottsdale (Phoenix) AZ

BLUES HALL OF FAME TOUR, Scottsdale Center for the Arts.  Friday March 27,
2015.
Musselwhite, Cotton, and Hammond. They all go back 60 years together!
We had front row seats, a gift from my generous harp student.

John Hammond is far more talented and entertaining than I was aware!
Guitar, vocals, and harmonica on a rack, plus great stories of people,
places, and dates. Looked sharp in pressed dress shirt and pleated slacks.
Physically trim. Full head of white wavy hair.

James Cotton is a venerated legend, not doing so well now with throat
cancer. Relied on a few famous licks, not much variety. One tune sounded
like the wrong harp by a fourth away from the band key. He was rockin' and
animated!

Charlie Musselwhite was strong and entertaining as usual. Played a LOT of
1st and 5th position harp with sparkle and style.  His band was tight and
tasty, with drums, bass, and guitar.

At intermission, I greeted Charlie as he set out harps on stage for the
next set. I learned that in Scottsdale AZ, you CANNOT TOUCH THE STAGE.
Fingers, belly, nothing. Ushers here are SERIOUS.

During the show Charlie invited all to dance if they got the urge. No one
moved. They were vocally enthusiastic.  Guess they knew dancing would NOT
be tolerated.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL