From: Harmonicology [Neil Ashby II] <harmonicology@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 6:36 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] harp as bagpipe

Winslow:

->"oblique motion with variable splits to maintain the drone in the left corner of his mouth while he plays melody out of the right side"

While that technique works somewhat (and has been demonstrated by Howard Levy) the actual "drone" (such as on the banjo) should be some note higher than the melody; attempting to use the lower pitch as the drone often makes the lower note sound like another root-note and muffles the correct root-note. Retuning some notes higher than the melody would provide the correct bagpipe sound. I wrote something about this among my "Harmonica Hints" on Facebook.

/Neil