Re: [Harp-L] Pucker and TB

And some of us integrate tongue blocking with puckering seamlessly, not in an either/or way.

Pucker by itself is a single point embouchure - you access single notes from a single point in your mouth, kind of like playing the piano with one finger.

Tongue blocking is often treated as an enhanced version of single point embouchure - you still access single notes from a single point, but add the rest of the mouth for slaps and pulls, and add the left side for splits.

You can also use tongue blocking for dual point embouchure - playing single notes out of both the right and left sides of your mouth, using both to play single note lines and even switching back and forth for leaps - this is usually called corner switching.

By putting pucker in the middle between the left and right corners of your mouth, you can have have three separate points of access to the holes on the harmonica.

I wrote a series of articles on multiple embouchure for the chromatic for harmonicasessions.com. They apply equally, with some adaptation, to diatonic. You can access them starting with the one titled "Left Field Embouchure" through my website at
http://winslowyerxa.com/articles/harmonica-sessions/

Winslow
Winslow Yerxa
President, SPAH, the Society for the Preservation and Advancement of the Harmonica
Producer, the Harmonica Collective
Resident Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool Community Music School