Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica mic, and mouth cavity for tone

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:36 PM, Randy Redington <rwredington@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I've been working on my embouchure, trying to keep a steady full
> tone. It's amazing on how much just that alone affects how I sound.

   1. Choice of âmic
   2. tight cupping (with bullets)
   3. open mouth cavity

âI often hear local players who have tackled 1 and 2, but miss #3.
Watch my 3 minute lesson here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCJCe_hUMY

say AH - OH
AH to open the mouth (gently, comfortably)
and OH to bring lips together for single notes.

A small cavity (the EEE shape) is jaw nearly closed, tongue nearly filling
the space, and produces a very thin tone.
When you drop the jaw and think AH - OH, you will have a much rounder,
mellow tone.  Make it your default shape.

Tone is the sum of air space cavity in FRONT of and BEHIND the reed.

To discover the power of this, take a breath, gently blow a chord (4 holes)
while saying YOY-YOY, VERY SLOWLY.
drag it out and hear the tone change. You'll be a convert and a believer!
Amen!

FINAL NOTE
Some vocal mics benefit from cupping, but the Audix does not have this
bass-boosting proximity effect.

Robert Hale
Serious Honkage in Arizona
youtube.com/DUKEofWAIL