From: JWilliam Thompson <landcommentary@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 6:36 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] A bluegrass afternoon

While staying in the Bay Area recently, I learned of a bluegrass jam in a
bar in San Francisco. So there I was one Sunday afternoon, walking into the
bar with a bunch of harmonicas. I was nervous, not because Iâm not
experienced at playing bluegrassâI amâbut because I didnât know whether the
people Iâd be playing with would accept a ânon-bluegrassâ instrument. At
the jams I usually attend around DC, people have gotten used to my
fiddle-style harmonica playing. Some even say they like it. But although
San Francisco is a very liberal town, I wasnât sure what the reception to a
harmonica would be here.

So I was encouraged when the first tune called was Salt Creek, a great
second-position tune Iâd played hundreds of times. That sort of broke the
ice, and I stayed and played for the full three hours. Played a solo on
every single tune, including lightning-fast fiddle tunes. The guitar player
next to me said, âYouâre the second person whoâs impressed me by playing
fiddle tunes on nonstandard instruments. The other guy was a cello player.â

Anyway, mission accomplished and a good afternoon for the harmonica in
bluegrass.

Bill in DC