[Harp-L] Re: hohner blues blaster xlr cord

The Blues Blaster and the sister mic's from CAD and Astatic are wired pin 3
 hot.  This is common for hi-z XLR applications.  You can  rewire the XLR
connector in the mic to pin 2 hot and then it will work with a  standard lo-z
pin 2 hot XLR cable.  Or you can convert a standard  XLR to pin 3 hot if
you prefer to keep the mic original.

I've 'fixed' dozens of these mic's over the phone, very often the cable
gets swapped and the mic 'doesn't work'.  Other problems pop up as well,
these are not well made microphones.  As yours has the  long discontinued MC-151
it's likely worth repairing or rewiring as  long as the element is still
ok.  If you are not comfortable doing this  work yourself, then there are
qualified tech's on harp-l, myself included, who  can do it correctly for a fair
price.  I like Greg Heumann's work as  well.  If you are going to SPAH next
month Greg will be there as a  vendor.

As long as you do not apply phantom power or test it with an  ohm meter,
the crystal element should be safe to test direct into an  amp using different
wiring configurations, unlikely you will 'fry'  it.  BUT... never, EVER
apply voltage to a crystal element!

Hit me up off list if you need any more info, always willing to help.
Either by email or through my Harmonica Planet website where you can request my
 free Harp Mic Buyers Guide:   www. harmonicaplanet.com

Christopher Richards
Twin Tone Microphones - Tone Defender Cables
Staging & Production - SPAH   www. spah.org
Producer - International Blues Blowoff
Harmonica & Vocals - The Well Diggers

Rockin' Billy writes:  I believe that hot goes to pin two and  ground to
pin one, leaving pin three with nothing. Can anyone verify this for  me?