Re: [Harp-L] Slide Solo Melody tuning

Hi Robert -

Perhaps I've misunderstood your post, but do you actually think there's a better tuning to play "in the R&B Stevie Wonder style" than the standard solo tuning Stevie has stuck with all these years?

There's no harmonica player I can think of who has taken better advantage of solo tuning than Stevie. He leverages the oddities of the tuning to constant advantage across all keys. But if you move from a half step slide to a whole step slide, all the ornaments and fingerings change. I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but I think even the best players would be hard pressed to wrangle Stevie's style out of that tuning as he tends to favor half step ornaments.

On the other hand, if you were to order one of Brendan's new DoubleChrom models, you could have both the half and whole step slides on the same axe ;-).

- Slim.

www.SlideManSlim.com