[Harp-L] Re: Inexpensive alternative to treating your room for recording

 Thanks for posting Richard.

I looked into this unit as my main large condenser mic is a Studio Electronics SE 2200 (a great mic and value if you can afford a Nueman!).
I do a lot of voice over recording in addition to soundtrack and traditional recording of vocals other instruments (including harmonica of course).

What I ended up getting is a similar, though unique device from Harlan Hogan at Voice Over Essentials, called the "Porta Booth Pro".
http://voiceoveressentials.com/content/porta-booth-pro.htm

or the less expensive "Porta Booth Plus"
http://voiceoveressentials.com/content/porta-booth-plus.htm

These units go a few steps further than the Reflexion as they have isolation on both the top and the bottom.  The idea is that if you can't completely isolate yourself in a recording room, you can isolate the mic inside the unit thereby taking the "room" out of the equation when you go to mix.  It does not completely shut out all noise (like your neighbor's barking dogs, chain saws, or the ambient pass by's of the BART trains), but it does drop the noise floor quite a bit.  If you work in a room that has computer hard drives grinding away it will make most of that disappear.

Its also portable and can be used on a desktop or table anywhere in your house or in a hotel if you are traveling.
I've recorded many professional lead vocal projects using the unit to good effect.  Its a little tricky to get mounted on a boom stand if you want to use it that way, but the site is really helpful on what adapters and kit you need to set it up for your preferences.

I think Winslow was considering getting this unit and may have some feedback on his experience with it?

Cheers

Burke Trieschmann- Audio Producer
Open DoorHarmonicas
Open Door Productions